Posts Tagged Exchange 2010
We’ve been having a couple of really annoying issues for awhile, but never often enough or serious enough for me to really dig into it. It’s slow today and it happened again so I was determined to figure it out. The solution was annoyingly simple.
- When typing up an email to an internal user I would randomly get an error saying MailTips couldn’t be retrieved. It didn’t happen all the time though.
- I have heard from a couple of people that when they tried to set their out of office response it wouldn’t let them. But again, it didn’t happen to everybody and was not always an issue for the two people I heard from.
It wasn’t until today when I got the MailTips error again that I realized the two problems were related.
I ran the Outlook tool to test e-mail autoconfiguration and every autodiscover test failed. I swear I ran that before we updated to Outlook 2016 from 2010 and it passed, but maybe I’m losing my mind.
Anyway, the solution was to create a cname record on the DNS (of course!) server. Works perfectly now.
- On your remote desktop session, select Start / Programs / Administrative Tools / DNS.
- Right-click your domain name and select New Alias (CNAME).
- Under Alias Name enter: autodiscover
- Under Fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for target host enter: autodiscover.emailsrvr.com
- Click the Ok button.