This has been bugging the hell out of me for awhile. I use MediaMonkey to organize my music and I love it. The only problem I had was that my mp3 player would not read m3u playlists as they were created from it. At some point I had obviously gotten it to work but it’s been so long since I’ve used my mp3 player that I forgot how to get my Sansa to see this type of list. So when I added my new music and tried to sync the playlist the player could not see it at all. I’ve read forum after forum reporting the same issue. Tonight I decided to take another look and within minutes found the solution that has managed to elude me recently. I’m posting it here because I’m sure at some point I’ll go another 6 months without using it and just forget again.
Pretty much all you do is let create your playlist in MediaMonkey, or whatever program you use, let it sync like you want. Then close the program, copy the playlist to your desktop, open it in notepad and add this line to the top of the list #EXTM3U. Then save and move it back over to your player. I had to put mine in the music folder, not on the root of the device. The odd thing is that I have no memory at all of doing this before. Maybe there’s another solution, but at least I made note of it this time.