I couldn’t think of a snappier title 😦
My posts are becoming less frequent, how sad. That is not for lack of issues I’ve come across, that’s for sure.
The most recent annoying issue isn’t a major problem, but something that I haven’t been able to really figure out for awhile. We have a specific user who kept disappearing from a couple of mail-enabled groups when looking at them through Outlook’s address book. If I tried to add her to the group, by editing it in Outlook itself, it would say I didn’t have the proper permissions to edit the members – which is not correct, I checked that. So I went to the server to look. We don’t have our address books set up through exchange, they’re all mail-enabled groups in AD.
I kept going to the server to look at what groups she was a member of. What threw me off was that she was still listed as being a member of the group that she wasn’t showing up in when you looked in Outlook. I ended up removing her from the group and re-adding her, just to see that she was then removed from another group. Finally, today I looked at all the other user’s profiles to see what groups they were in and noticed that their primary group was Domain Users and this was not a group that the mysterious disappearing user was apart of. So I added her to the Domain Users group and made it her primary group. Voila! She magically appears in both mail-enabled groups in Outlook and will now receive all emails to both groups.
At least I know what was causing the problem, but I would like to know why having a mail-enabled group as the primary takes her out of the address book. I couldn’t find any answers to that online.