My Aunt called me up awhile back asking me if I knew why Internet Explorer would be so painfully slow, on both computers, not just one. The first thing I did was remote into her computers one night and run the standard virus and spyware scans, but those didn’t fix the problem of IE taking a good chunk of time to load a page when first opening. I didn’t time it, but it probably took about a minute to load her homepage of msn.com.
I found this article from Microsoft with some good information, even though I didn’t get the “page cannot be displayed” error. It has basic tips for clearing out temporary internet files, the history, cookies, etc. All of that is a good place to start because if that isn’t done on a regular basis it could cause problems. None of that worked for either of my Aunt’s computers so I moved onto trying Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Using that made her homepage pop up so much faster, so that told me it was one of the IE add-ons that was causing the problem. The article from Microsoft suggests disabling them one at a time to figure it out, but I found it easier to disable all of them and re-enable them one at a time. I don’t know why that was easier for me, but it was.
Test to see if using Internet Explorer without add-ons works by going to your start menu -> all programs -> accessories -> system tools and clicking on Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). If your browsing is faster using this then look below for disabling and re-enabling each add-on.
To disable/enable Internet Explorer add-ons:
- Open IE -> go to your tools menu -> Manage Add-ons -> Enable or Disable Add-ons
- The next thing you want to do is disable the add-ons either one at a time like the article says or, like in my case, disabling all of them and turning them back on one at a time. Doing that led me to discover that the two Skype plug-ins were slowing IE down.
After disabling/enabling an add-on you have to close and then reopen IE to make the settings take effect. I didn’t notice a difference right away. I noticed the speed improvement after opening and closing IE a couple times. The whole process is slightly irritating, but at least it fixed the problem.